Wednesday, July 26, 2006

A "Vocal" String Theory

Stine here. Thanks for inviting me Beige. Think of me as Bill Nye the Buddhist Science guy, only not as smart, taller, and well, female. You get the idea. I get off on the mind-body connection, why placebos work, the power of telekenesis, and String Theory.

So one of the first things that attracted me to this Buddhism was the chanting. It attracted me as a singer and actress, as a singer and actress with a paralyzed vocal cord, and as a bodyworker. I started chanting as a vocal exercise - that is all. I can tell you my personal story later, the following story is the first big thing that really put me on the path to becoming a Buddhist.

There are all these medical stories in the SGI. Stories of epileptics becoming asymptomatic after chanting for a year, AIDS victims who have faced death multiple times (as in had a T cell count of 13 - that's very low), and are still here to talk about it. I read a story in the World Tribune. There was a woman who had cancer in her entire larynx(voicebox). She had to have the entire thing removed. She obviously had no voice after this. Despite having no voice, she chanted by pushing air through her mouth, and moving her lips. After 2 years of "chanting", this woman went back to the doctor, they did a laryngeal scope, and her body had grown scar tissue that was functioning as vocal cords. The woman could totally speak.

So, cut to last Monday. I came home from a full day of massaging, and was in so much pain, I couldn't sit up, I couldn't move my right hand, and I just cried. I worked just one muscle in my right shoulder (the levator scapulae - for those of you wanting to know such things), I propped myself up, decided I was sick and tired of being a slave to pain, chanted and cried for 45 minutes. At the end of my chanting session, I had absolutely no pain, could move my fingers, and stand.

See, this shit fascinates the hell outta me. Quantum physics, string theory, particle-wave duality, multiple dimensions - GOOD TIMES! I think the bottom line, is that by the end of my life, I just want to be able to put my hands on people, and have them be well. I wanna move things with my mind. You wait man, you wait.

1 Comments:

Blogger hanyen said...

Hi I am a SGI member in SGI. I believe our Buddhist philosophy holds the answer to the solution of the scientific theory of everything. It will be a breakthrough if soemone could do it... I am researching into how the concept of ku, ke, chu could explain the wave-particle duality and hopelfully further down the limits of modern physics.. my blog is at http://hanyen.wordpress.com

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home